Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA JANA is offline

Default DVD Player cold startup problem

I would start by changing the caps if you see physical leaking.

The best thing to do is use an ESR meter and check all the caps in the power
supply. Most of the time when any electronic parts fail including caps,
there is no visible indication.

--

JANA
_____

"Hong Chin Siong" wrote in message
Hi,

My DVD player starts to give me problems as every cold start requires a
shutdown/restart cycle to get it working. Once it started to work,
everything works perfectly - no undetected discs, no skips, no audio/video
drops.

The symptom:

1. Upon cold powerup, insert any disc (DVD, CD, VCD), the player tray will
retract and the read LED either blinks and remain steady or not blink at
all. Control buttons and remote control are not able to wake up player. The
laser did not move to home position and player hang.

2. Shutdown the main power.

3. Restart the player, eject the disc and retract the tray, the disc play
perfectly.

I discovered two capacitors starting to leak yellowish/brownish materials at
the power PCB, perhaps this is the cause of power problem?

I live in tropical region where temperature is between 24 degree celcius to
34 degree celcius, so unlikely due to temperature issue.

--
Hong Chin Siong
Singapore