Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

based on the pristine condition of most of the SUVs I
see, they're not being used off road anywhere.

So what?

What business is it of YOURS what someone else drives or WHERE they drive?

If you want to drive a 35mpg econobox, go for it. I graduated from a
1,000cc, 3-cylinder Geo Metro to a 2500HD Silverado pickup with 8.1L
(496cid)
gas-guzzling V8. I'm paying DEARLY for my choice. But it was MY choice.

If you truly advocate having to apply to the Ministry of Transportation
prior
to purchasing your next motor vehicle, you can just forget it, comrade.
Not
while I have a vote in any case.
--
JR

By offering two extreme examples (tiny car vs. government control), you're
acting like a clone. There are some in this newsgroup who actually ARE
clones, but you're not one of them, so don't talk that way.

Here's an idea: How about educating the buying public, so they understand
what they're really getting? Give them the knowledge to take advertising
with a grain of salt?

For example, in snowy climates, all smart people (100%, in other words) know
that assuming your car has enough ground clearance, the best thing in the
world for snow-covered roads is front wheel drive and a good set of snow
tires. 4WD is sorta OK, but when it's off, you're left with rear wheel
drive. Bleh. Don't argue with this. My information is better than yours.

But still, some people will buy a 4WD SUV because they saw dreamy ads
showing a mommy tucking the kids into their car seats, with the announcer
emphasizing security and safety. Ha ha funny. Give me a Taurus or a Camry
with a set of Blizzak snow tires and I'll be cruising happily while SUVs are
sliding through intersections.

There is a world in between econo-box and your Silverado.