Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_3_] SteveB[_3_] is offline

Default Welding in cold weather

"S. Barker" wrote in message
Agreed, the MIG doesn't penetrate like a stick especially if you're using
5P. BUT that being said, plenty of snow plow repairs have been made
successfully with MIG. Pre heat is a good idea. Especially if just
coming in from the outside. AND if you're welding the high carbon cutting
edge, then stick with special alloys is really the only way that will
last.

People can get all in a wad over the topic of welding. Lots of things WILL
work, and even a bubble gum or gorilla weld that lasts is a "good" weld.
It's just if you've done it much, you understand that it's better to do it
once and get it to stick (even if it isn't technically exact) than have to
do it again. Or have it break again and cause more damage or leave you
stuck out somewhere. And then either to grind it all off, or gob more on
there.

When I want something to stick, if it is thick enough, I prefer 7018. But
then, I've probably burned 500# of it in my life.

Any weld that holds is a good weld.

Steve