Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's based on the CFLs being disposed of improperly,
with the mercury that would be released being less than the amount
released by a coal fired plant for the 75% of electricity the CFL saves
vs. incandescent. I saw some comparison with actual numbers somewhere,
but I don't know where.

Interesting. Most of the stuff I saw was silent specifically but
usually detailed that they should not be tossed in the garbage, should
be sent somewhere or taken to a hazmat disposal site and all sorts of
stuff that very few people are likely to do in real life (g). I was
wondering if concentrating the mercury at landfills was different than
the spreading out of the mercury over large areas through smoke
dispersal.