Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Slightly off-topic: Learning carpentry and basic wood-work ...

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:51:33 -0800 (PST), Kedar Mhaswade
wrote:

Folks,

Happy Holidays!

I am interested in getting started with basic wood-work -- carpentry
as a hobby. Maybe I'll start with children's toys. I'd like to get an
overview of tools, work-place setup etc. Any quick crash-courses out
there? Any pointers will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Kedar Mhaswade.

There are all kinds of woodworking skills. You might consider a
bandsaw as a first tool--not too much space, lots of versatility,
reasonable in price, plus it will always be useful as your skills
improve. Perhaps the first project to build would be a sturdy
workbench--you will gain skills and have a very useful shop "tool"
when complete. Visit your local library for books.