Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Heat Pump comments

wrote:
On Dec 21, 6:50 am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:28 pm, dpb wrote:
I should add that geothermalheatpumps are a whole different animal.
They are very expensive, but if installed properly I believe they
would be very efficient and useful down to colder outside
temperatures ...
Yes
... (although still noisy).
No. The removal of the air source to the recirc fluidpumpmakes all
the difference in the world. It's the air exchanger that's the noisy
component and it goes away.
Well, there's quiet, and then there is quiet. Truthfully, I don't
have a geothermal HP (do you?) and have never seen one.

Yes, I had one for several years. It was virtually inaudible running
over the typical fan air movement noise. As compared to an air-exchange

You and Roy have both made insightful comments. I have heard that if
the working parts of a geothermal unit can be remoted from the house,
the house will indeed stay quiet. Personally, the loudest thing I
want to hear in my home is the fridge, and only because I know it's
keeping my beer cold.

There was nothing "remote" in our installation -- the recirc
pump/exchanger is no more noisy than a typical fridge compressor. It
simply wasn't a noticeable noise over if it had been forced air natural gas.