Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Heat Pump Operation

"Elle" wrote in message
My house has a Rheem heat pump, installed in 1991 Model #RPND-042C, with
"Heater Kit RXPJ," according to its nameplate. Temperatures are about
35-40 degrees F this time of year where I am.

Often in the morning the heat pump blows cold air for a half-hour (or
more?). I had an HVAC service tech out here a week ago. He could not find
anything wrong.

Does it simply take a while for the refrigerant to get to suitable
temperatures for evaporation/condensation operation when in "heating"
mode?

What symptoms might I observe that indicate the unit needs a charge of
refrigerant?

Also, I would like an operating manual, hopefully with a layperson's
troubleshooting guide. Although I am pretty handy and I would prefer to do
electrical side troubleshooting myself. Anyone know where I can get such a
manual for this unit? I tried both the Rheem and Ruud sites; no luck.

Heat pumps blow colder hot air than a regular furnace will.
Some folks (like me) hate heat pumps. If it bothers you that much,
can the HP and get a real furnace. That's what I did.