Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Automatic Volume Leveling (AVL)

Chuck wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Ross Herbert wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 14:23:51 -0600, wrote:

If you can invent a wireless invention gadget that will automatically
kill the audio of all tv commercials,,, you might be allowed
membership
into the Augusta,Georgia Country Club.
Bill Gates never amounted to anything, The Augusta CC turned him
down.
I Love it!
cuhulin

You will have noticed that whenever ads are being run the channel logo
is not broadcast. If someone can build a device to detect absence of
logo and then mute the audio, that will fix the problem.

If you decode the data in the reserved lines at the top of the frame,
there is information about the commercials.

So if there IS something to decode that makes commercials unique
(detectable), why has no aftermarket device been devised?? As we have all
noted, the market would be huge. As one audio engineer stated, maybe the
audio quality would suffer a bit, but I bet we could get used to that much
easier than what we all commonly seem to go through now.

Network feeds contain the information needed by their affiliates to
inset local commercials, along with a lot of other data. I have looked
at it with a video waveform monitor, but I've never found an information
on their propritary coding. I no longer work in broadcast TV, and have
no connections to the industry, these days.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida