Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bury dryer vent under patio?

"RickM" wrote in message
I am replacing a deck with a poured concrete patio.

The problem is that my dryer vents under the deck.

Does any see a problem using standard rigid aluminum ducts to extend
from my house out to the edge of the patio? I will be pouring concrete
on top of the 4" rigid vent.

I have thought of using PVC instead, but I would expect that would be
a hazard were the dust in the vent to ignite.

Missing the patio is not an option, since I would have to route the
vent through several floor joists.

I have never seen this done before, but one thing I can add is that aluminum
and concrete do not go well together. If you are going to install duct I
would suggest the galvanized steel type. Something which is very solid and
steel is 4" EMT which is available at an electrical supply company. EMT is
approved for concrete encasement. The actual outside diameter is a little
bigger than 4" so you may have a problem connecting to 4" duct. 3.5" EMT
might be just right.