Posted to alt.home.repair
John Barry John Barry is offline

Default Welding in cold weather

wrote:
I broke something on my snowplow. I parked it in my garage and
started to weld. No matter what I tried, my helmet glass kept fogging
up. I even turned on a torpedo heater to no avail. I finally had to
take it off and just weld with three pairs of sunglasses and avoid
looking at it as much as possible. How in the heck do the
professional welders weld in cold weather?

One other thing. Since I was welding indoors, the whole garage filled
with smoke and now I have a horrible headache from it. Its too cold
to open a window. What do welding shops use?

By the way, it's weird to have a mild sunburn on my face on December
23. Welding without the helmet gave me a mild burn. I wont complain,
it's better than being a winter paleface.

This was just an hour of welding, so I just tolderated the bad
conditions.

Dan

Also, consider that the "sunburn" is almost certainly uv-radiation burn,
and can result in permanent damage. DAMHIKT. One reason that welding
helmets cover as much epidermis as they do.

John