Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Computer power supply

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:30:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I know somebody on this group can give me some advice on the
info I have given. I'll admit it. I'm lazy and would rather just ask
questions rather than dig in or research further. I don't even know if
all computer power supplies and plugs are standard. Any help would
be appreciated.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/p...nc-pinouts.htm

In general they're not worth the bother of fixing as they're so cheap.
Unless you have the required spare parts lying around.

I'm not using a PC for this task and when the power supply failed on this
machine it was easier to adapt a PC one and fit it to this PS case than
repair it.

Thanks to all. Yes the supply is dead. No 12 volts and the two sockets
readings at 5.25 and 6.5 volt are not correct.

The above link was helpful. I do have a question though from the link.
It says at the bottom of the page: "To power up an ATX or ATX-2 PSU
for testing, short pin 14 (PS_ON) with one of the grounds" I did this
and it made no difference. Does this mean on a good supply on the
bench that these pins have to connect to get all the various voltage
readings on the various pin outs?