Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Panel Saw Experiences?

I think most of the posters are missing the point. *The OP is asking
if a panel saw is the best solution for his situation, not the
cheapest.

I've used a table saw, circular saw with straight edge and home made
jigs and none of them beat the panel saw for dealing with full size
sheets of plywood. *I will admit that I've never used a commercial
table saw with massive infeed and outfeed tables though.

Our scene shop workers consisted of people with many, many years of
experience to those with no experience at all. *With minimal training,
just about anyone could be taught to use the panel saw safely.

I never felt comfortable letting people with little experienc use *the
table saw or circular saw. *I won't say it doesn't happen, but I never
experienced a kickback with the panel saw.

Another thing of note is that we have a power miter saw fixed in place
for cutting board stock. We have the luxury of having a 30 foot bench
with the saw fixed in the middle. *Again, much safer and quicker than
a circular saw.

Bill

Thank you for correctly interpreting my perhaps ill-phrased question.
I know all about the cheap solutions. Trouble is, they take too much
time and don't reduce the risk significantly. I've been cutting
plywood with a circular saw and straightedges for decades, but this
high-volume operation needs a quicker method that will yeild accurate
results and can be used by semi-skilled volunteers. I'm already
convinced that a panel saw, or some other very similar machine, is
what we need. What I wanted to know was about the Milwaukee in
particular, and also if there are other similar machines I should look
into. Thanks again for your help.

DonkeyHody
"While I know you understood what you thought I said, you fail to
realize that what you heard was not what I meant."