Posted to uk.d-i-y
andrew heggie andrew heggie is offline

Default log burner

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 07:29:23 -0800, tom.harrigan wrote:

According to Wikipedia, coal is about 6.67 kWh/kg. According to Aga
you need 47.5kg of fuel a week.

I thought agas burned smokeless coal, which will be nearer to coke and
hence less volatiles (hydrocarbons), so I was referring to the lack of
water in the flue gases, so you could run a very low flue gas
temperature, as long as the little water never saturated the flue gas.

My only issue with agas is that when
you want to cook, but don't want the heat all day,

Which is why a modern solution is a gas cooker and gas central heating
system. If I needed to heat with wood and cook with wood I doubt I'd try
to get one device to do the same job and there are some reasonable
solutions to cooking with wood, some 2 billion people depend on it.

AJH