Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tom.harrigan@gmail.com is offline

Default log burner

On 24 Dec, 15:16, andrew heggie wrote:
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 07:09:30 -0800, tom.harrigan wrote:
aga suggest you need 47.5kg of
solid fuel to get 220kWh. Unless I've done something wrong, that makes
it about 70% efficient.

I haven't checked your maths, nor do I know the calorific value of your
fuel but coke burning devices always look good because the LHV
and HHV are the same. My beef with the aga is that it gives you the heat
when it wants to. Now this is fine with solid fuels because they all have
this thermal inertia problem but it's an unnecessary restriction when
burning inherently "better" fuels like gas or oil.

AJH

According to Wikipedia, coal is about 6.67 kWh/kg. According to Aga
you need 47.5kg of fuel a week. My only issue with agas is that when
you want to cook, but don't want the heat all day, that's when you
start to waste money. If I could afford to run one, I'd probably get
one. At the moment I'm after a solid fuel cooker that's a bit more off-
and-on-able. It's quite difficult getting information on heat up
times, but I reckon the Stanley Errigal should heat up fairly quickly,
though I do prefer the look of the Rayburn 300W or Esse woodfired
cooker.