Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Neil Neil is offline

Default Dell laptop screen goes off on mains but fine on battery.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 06:37:40 -0800, alan wrote:
I have the same problem, although not quite as bad yet. I have found
that if I wiggle my AC power cord where it plugs into the back of the
laptop, I can replicate the problem. I am going to try it to see if I
ge the same problem when it's not plugged into the mains. It's
definately a hardware issue, at least my problem is.

Is your plug a barrel connector or that 3 pin deal? I've owned two Dells
in the past 9 years and both are now in the scrap bin. Good thing I held
on to the supplies though as I've used one to replace a failed supply on
one of my 3 laptops. I own a Toshiba, HP and an Asus.

I've managed to repair several Dells by dismantling (using downloaded
service manual) and removing and repairing the power socket.
It is a bit fiddly, but seems to be a reliable repair, and cheaper - just a
bit of solder and Araldite - than the Dell suggestion of a new system board.
There was one which had a frayed power lead, but a bit of solder fixed that
too.
hth
Nel