Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Panel Saw Experiences?

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:17:32 GMT, John Barry
wrote:

Simple, cheap method that works great for me:

Build open support frame of tubafors screwed together more than an inch
away from edge, to make an open matrix about 4' x 8'.

Drop 4' x 8' sheet onto frame.

Set up straight edge for cutting an edge "really" straight, if it
matters, with circ-saw set to just cut through sheet. Then set up
straight edge for subsequent cuts. Main challenge here is sequence of
cuts to harvest most of sheet. Simple factory-made guide of (2) 4'+
lengths works great.

Resting tubafore support frame on tailgate of p/u and horses also works
great for breaking down sheets while unloading, and minimizes damage.

Only incremental expense is a few tubafores and screws. Meanwhile, all
extremities are full-length. No amputations/kickbacks yet.

John

I think most of the posters are missing the point. The OP is asking
if a panel saw is the best solution for his situation, not the
cheapest.

I've used a table saw, circular saw with straight edge and home made
jigs and none of them beat the panel saw for dealing with full size
sheets of plywood. I will admit that I've never used a commercial
table saw with massive infeed and outfeed tables though.

Our scene shop workers consisted of people with many, many years of
experience to those with no experience at all. With minimal training,
just about anyone could be taught to use the panel saw safely.

I never felt comfortable letting people with little experienc use the
table saw or circular saw. I won't say it doesn't happen, but I never
experienced a kickback with the panel saw.

Another thing of note is that we have a power miter saw fixed in place
for cutting board stock. We have the luxury of having a 30 foot bench
with the saw fixed in the middle. Again, much safer and quicker than
a circular saw.

Bill