Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default log burner

Anna Kettle wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 11:08:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:

As the wood burner is more efficient than on open fire I understand
from the literature (but may be wrong) that there is a much increased
risk of condensate of wood extractive then lining the flue and
becoming a fire risk in itself which is why double lined insulated
flues were invented and put in.

Generally speaking, I researched this and found that it would be at
LEAST twice the price of the stove to get it installed properly and
that I had to have a positive air supply
which rather ruined my plans
for air tightness

Can you elaborate? If the stove is small then regs say a vent is not
needed. Is that what you are talking about? My stove will largely be
for decoration and for enjoying the log fire and maybe boiling the odd
kettle so I thought I would just get a small stove, though I dont
think that putting in a vent will be difficult to do. Why did you want
it to be air tight?

BTW I have been told that the best places for a vent are high up in
the same room or low down and very close to the stove. Low down and
away from the stove produces draughts round the ankles

If you have access to lots of free wood and can store it on the
premises

Yes I can do that

then go for it but it will cost and even if you do it
yourself you will need a helper to put in the liner and it will take
twice the time you think it will!

Everything does! Especially things I have never done before and this
is a prime example. However I will have the advantage of a proper
scaffold in place cos I'm planning to repoint the stack and remove the
chimney pots at the same time

Ideal. if the flues are straight you simply drop it from the top in
sections, and hold it there with a plate on the stack top.

The problems happen when you have cranked over stacks.

PS Anyone in the market for a couple of large Victorian chimney pots?

5 years too late. ;-)
Anna

chris

~ ~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantles, pargeting etc
|____|
www.kettlenet.co.uk