Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default log burner

andrew heggie wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:51:35 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Do you feel lucky today ;-)

If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all :-)
I think Anna's place is thatched..the sparks CAN be a bit of an
issue..if you have ever seen a stack fire you will know it looks like a
giant firework going off.

I was taking the point about sparks as being read. Yes I have had a
chimney fire and it was spectacular, 1974 IIRC. That was an open fire and
needed a fireman with a set of rods with a hose attached and a stirrup
pump in a bucket of water to extinguish, very messy. I wouldn't expect any
where near the same problem with a properly installed stove. The trouble
is that a normal sweeping will not dislodge much of the tar deposits.

It dislodges the crud that burns. That much I know.

AJH