Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Powermatic 3520

I stepped up to the 3520A from a 4 speed Atlas about 8 years ago. It
is the best Christmas present I ever got myself. I turn
professionally, and I have abused this lathe severely. I have worn out
one set of headstock bearings. It has performed well. If I could make
changes, I would make the headstock spindle unit removable by
unbolting. I need to replace the belt, and the only way is to remove
the bearings, which I can't do myself. The biggest difference between
the A and B models is that the minimum low speed on the A is almost
zero, and on the B it is about 50 rpm. This comes in handy for
sanding. I turn green wood to final thickness, then let them dry and
warp before sanding and finishing. You can't sand a warped bowl at 50
rpm too easily.

I will probably be stepping up again this next year to a Robust
American Beauty, which as far as I am concerned is a better lathe than
the Oneway 2436 if for no other reason because it has a sliding
headstock. The reason I will be stepping up is partly because I am a
tool junkie, and partly because it is a bit heavier and more powerful
than the PM. I won't be turning bigger, but the added power will be
nice for production. The PM is a fine lathe, and the best lathe for
the money.

robo hippy

On Dec 23, 3:01*pm, "TomNie" wrote:
Perfect is usually a subjective term. I chose the 3520B because I felt it
was the best value and performance lathe.

I believe it's an excellent choice for spindle and bowl work and even small
stuff like pens and finials. I haven't the slightest regret for my choice of
the 3520B. Reversing and variable speed plus sliding to the end for big
stuff if you choose is very nice. Speed indicator is a nice convenience.
Solid and stable, feels good to use. Used by some of the most notable
schools as is the Oneway which would be my next choice without money as a
factor. Again, if you move cost aside, there's some great things to be said
for the Stubby which is our club's choice.

While I've had a few difficulties with Powermatic equipment I've found their
service department to be great. Any time the stuff is manufactured offshore
you can get the left hand not understanding the right hand.

I'd say buy it, enjoy it, and Merry Christmas.

TomNie

wrote in message

Hi all,

I'm a life-long woodworker and I'm finally going to extend my craft to
turning. *I've been shopping around and I've settled on the Powermatic
3520B as a perfect lathe. *I don't want to buy another one in my life
so I'm willing to spend to get a good one that won't leave me wishing
for another.

Here is my question. *Are there folks in the group who have good or
bad things to say about this lathe? *If you were buying your dream
lathe, why wouldn't you buy this one? *It's too expensive to get this
wrong! *If there is something out there cheaper that will serve me
well, then I'd like to hear about that too.