Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
98 Guy 98 Guy is offline

Default Has anyone ever replaced their conventional furnace fan motor withan ECM motor?

Tony Hwang wrote:

Lennox is known for selling parts only to trade people.

That sounds like a crock of ****. I guess the HVAC industry is full
of companies that limit the availability of parts to the general
public. Stone-age thinking these days.

Another issue maybe mechanically fitting it into your existing
set up.

I agree, but that's my problem (if I go down that road).

Prepare to pay over a grand for motor and controller.

Again the controller issue. Has anyone ever seen a data sheet for
these motors?

Has anyone considered that the controller is built into these motors,
and maybe they have just a few control lines for speed selection -
that can easily be rigged up for manual control (or set to run at a
constant speed) ???

While on that topic - are there any electronic thermostats that can
control multi-speed motors?

How much is electricity cost where you are?
I have locked in rate of 7 cents per KWH for next 5 years.

I pay 10.6 cents per KWH. That includes ALL direct and indirect
costs. Indirect costs include taxes, delivery charges, regulatory
charges, etc. The electricity itself is billed at about 5.8 cents per
KWH.

When my meter is read, the reading is multiplied by 1.0421 (some sort
of correction factor for line losses I guess).

Does your cost of 7 cents include ALL miscellaneous charges and taxes?