Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

"Pete C." wrote in
:

wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 11:39:55 -0600, "Pete C."

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 11:09:13 -0600, "Pete C."

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 09:35:43 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Frank wrote:
Dan_Musicant wrote:

Fact is you can find CF's that don't take a minute to get
usable light. Some are nearly instant on. The only filament
lamps I use at all are maybe a couple I haven't bothered to
change that I leave on for 5-10 minutes at a time only.

I find it grating to read posts which make fun of federal
lawmakers. I wouldn't want to spend more than 10 minutes of
every year sitting in the halls of congress. I know it's a
madhouse, but walk a mile in their shoes before you paint
them all with the same brush.

Believe it or not, letting people do what they damn well
please doesn't work in this country.

You must be in the 15% that thinks congress is doing a good
job. Let the market decide. I use CFL's not to save the
planet but because in the long run, I save money.

I've often found that being a cheap ******* and being
ecologically correct are two subsets of the population with
significant overlap.

If nothing else, the philosophy of using equipment until it is
well and truly no longer usable and no longer repairable
before purchasing a replacement is one of the best things you
can possibly do for the environment.

nate

(cheap *******)

Not if the old piece of equipment is an energy hog. When I
bought my primary home, it had a 30 year old deep freezer in
the basement. I paid someone $75 to haul it away. When it was
operating, the OUTSIDE of the unit was cold!

I'll be turning off my perfectly good CRT Sony TV in a couple
of months, and replacing it with an LCD Sony. Boo-Hoo! I'm
Soooo sad to be doing that!

Check the power consumption of that new LCD vs. the CRT and you
may well find there is little difference between them.

Already checked. There's a huge difference. You may be confusing
LCD with Plasma, which uses a lot more energy.

No, I'm not. Plasma does indeed eat power, but many LCDs are not
that different from CRTs. The difference gets greater with larger
CRTs and LCDs, but for smaller stuff it can be surprisingly small.

Well of course, smaller TV's use less power. How silly of me to
overlook that.

Meanwhile, you ARE confusing Plasma with LCD's. They are noticably
different when it comes to power consumption. Either that, or you are
including LCD projectors, which are not part of this discussion at
all.

I spent some 15 years in the video world, I'm quite familiar with the
different technologies. Put a Kill-a-Watt on the current CRT and
record the kWh used over a normal week and then do the same with the
new LCD. Report back on the difference.

my 12" Quasar CRT TV says max 55 watts on it's back.
IIRC,my 15" PC CRT monitor had similar consumption.
My old 19" JVC CRT TV's manual says 123W.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik