Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook Wayne Cook is offline

Default speed of meat grinder

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 08:17:22 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

My January landlord uses a commercial Hobart (#33 I think) meat grinder as a
fish chum grinder. The gear motor part has died. I told him I could redo it
for him. So, I'm looking for a 220 gear motor (I may get 3 phase and VFD) My
question, anybody know what RPM a commercial meat grinder runs at? My
landlord ran his finger round and round at maybe 60 to 120 rpm.

That depends on the HP of the original unit. The more HP the faster
they ran. My dad has owned the local slaughter plant since I was about
5 so I've been around these for a while. His current grinder (which
he's had since I was about 8) run a lot faster than any of the average
meat market sized grinders I've seen but uses the same head. I can
remember for sure but it has either a 3 or 5 HP 3phase motor in it.
I'd have to check but I believe it runs around the 120 rpm speed
you're stating. The meat market ones probably run around 60rpm as a
guess and I believe usually have about 1 1/2 to 2 HP motor.