Andy Asberry

Default Gunner: I'm back

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:22:46 -0700, Tim May
wrote:

In article , Strabo
wrote:

Actually Tim, he's already paid for it. The VA was part of the
monetary package back when he was paid about $60 a month.

You mean the Veteran's Administration is responsible for the $400,000
bill he says his wife (or what he sometimes calls his "ex-wife") ran
up?

Even for the case of Gunner himself, being a veteran is not a ticket to
lifetime medical care. I'm surprised anyone thinks it is.

VA hospitals are generally for service-related conditions. Here's one
online summary of the requirements for ca

" Compensation for service-connected disabilities is payable to
veterans who have suffered an injury or illness which occurred or was
made worse during military service. A claim for compensation may be
established by evidence showing that an injury or illness arose or
became worse during service and that the veteran currently suffers from
that difficulty.

" The amount of compensation paid depends on how severe the medical
problem is. Severity can vary from 10 percent to 100 percent
disability. Benefits range up to a certain amount each month, with
additional payments for certain severe disabilities. The rate of
compensation may change as the severity of injury or illness changes.
Also, permanently and totally disabled veterans without income may
qualify for a non-service connected disability pension if they served
at least 90 days on active duty with one day during a period of war.
"

http://www.chicagobar.org/public/diallaw/20.asp

--Tim May

Since no one has set you straight on this, I will try.

It is obvious you don't know how the VA defines compensation.
Compensation is NOT reimbursement for medical expenses. Compensation
is NOT payment for physical disabilities that limit earning abilities.

Think of compensation as payment for pain and suffering.

I may be fully employed but unable to use a standard telephone or
enjoy a movie out because of hearing loss due to mine, mortar or some
other cause.

I may be fully employed but suffer recurring nightmares or anxiety
attacks associated with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

I may be fully employed but racked with phantom pains brought on by
nerve damage due to exposure to Agent Orange.

I may be fully employed but 100% of my children are born with Spina
Bifida; a result of my Agent Orange exposure.

Generally speaking, compensation is for injuries or conditions that
cannot be repaired by medical professionals.