Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

On Dec 23, 7:59*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 03:28:42 -0600, Jim Redelfs

wrote:
Say "goodbye" to the venerable 100w and 75w, cheap, light bulb. *(Thomas Alva
Edison will surely turn over in his grave).

And say "Hello" to additional mercury compounds (from fluorescent
tubes) seeping into our soils. *

Incandesants should be history, they are effectivly heaters that put
out light, for every 100 watts consumed you get 92-94 watts of heat,
real smart to use in summer when you run your AC to cool your home.
CFLs will get better in cold starting, my cfl floods are bad needing 2
minutes at 25f to get bright, but that will change and color rendition
is on par with incandesants. A ratings test at Popular Mechanics even
put one brand better in rendition.

A quote from ComEd Ill. " If every home nationaly would replace one
light bulb with CFLs this simple action would save more than $600
million in energy costs annualy and remove the equivalent amount of
green house gases from the atmosphere that is created by 800,000
cars". And if 95% of incandesants were replaced utility companies
would not need to upgrade power supplies for maybe 15 years saving
everyone more.

And you say ""hurt" on our domestic car and light truck industry"
Have you seen the new 20-21 mpg in CITY hybrid 4wd full size Chevys,
and the 34mpg in CITY Ford SUV, what a better way to revive the
industry by putting out a better Hybrid system that neither Toyota,
Honda, or anyone else has, we should not be driving 12 mpg 4wd SUVs
where nobody ever needs the 4wd option.