Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman Frank Drackman is offline

Default Panel Saw Experiences?

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
DH,

I have read the entire thread. I think a panel saw is one of the
safest ways to go. I have always wanted one and may take the home
made route (Search Rockler.com for "panel saw plan"). I am always
happy when I can solve a problem by woodworking!

Montyhp

Thanks to all for the replies. When I'm in my own shop, and need to
cut a full-size sheet of plywood, I lay some 2x4s on the floor,
measure 1/4 oversize and clamp a straightedge, cut with a hand-held
circular saw, then re-cut to final dimensions on my table saw (which
is equipped with outfeed and side extensions). But I'm undeniably
anal about woodworking and the extra time required to go through all
those steps is of no consequence to me. And I know how to place the
2x4s on the floor to support the sheet without pinching the blade. I
see all sorts of opportunities for disaster if we put people who may
have never held a circular saw before in that situation. My very next
order of business is to build outfeed and side extensions for the
group's existing table saw. But it still will be a barely tolerable
solution. The extension tables will take up a lot of much needed room
and the available horizontal surface will immediately become a catch-
all for every tool, screw and coffee cup in the place. I still think
a panel saw will be the safest and most productive alternative. Plus,
it can live against a wall and won't take up so much space.

I spent most of Friday building a proper stand for their compound
miter saw. When I arrived on the scene a few weeks ago, the miter saw
was on the floor, and they would stack scraps on the floor to hold up
the dangling ends of the board. Now, with 4 feet of table on either
side of the saw and a full-length fence, we can clamp a stop to the
fence instead of measuring and marking each piece. There are so many
opportunities for improvement that it's hard to know where to start.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle

Boy are they lucky to have you involved! It seems that the key is to get
them to understand the potential dangers and low quality results from doing
things the wrong way and the rewards from doing things the correct way.

I recently started to help the theater department at the local high school
and can't even get them to drill pilot holes for screws. The culture passed
down from class to class is strange. The kids seem to develop pride from
being able to do something the wrong way even if the right way is easier to
achieve and produces much better results.