Posted to uk.d-i-y
andrew heggie andrew heggie is offline

Default log burner

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:41:40 +0000, Anna Kettle wrote:

Thats interesting, so it is not essential for building regs to line a
chimney before a stove is put in.

That's right but the difficulty arises in proving that the existing
chimney meets regs without a liner, so an installer would be unsure to
sign off a flue installation plate.

I have friends who have a big old
chimney very similar to mine, they didnt line their chimney and it
works perfectly well with a woodburner

As did many chimneys before the new regs came in in 2000.

I fitted my wood burner (small Jotul) 30 years ago and it vents, via a
short 150mm enameled steel flue into a 220mm concrete lined chimney and
works fine. Doing the same job now I would probably opt for a 904
stainless 150mm liner with vermiculite insulation.

AJH