Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default retractable garage doors

On 2007-12-23 10:41:11 +0000, Fred said:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:14:48 +0000, Andy Cap
wrote:

They are certainly far more stable in use, being supported at four points. I
would suggest also simpler and thus more reliable. I keep mine lubricated and
it's as good as new after many years.

I think I'm going to try a retractable rather than a canopy door then.
Is it a matter of greasing the spring once an year and oiling
everything else with 3 in 1?

You need to look carefully at what the manufacturer is offering and the
build quality.

Whether a door is retracting or canopy is not defined by the nature of
the mechanism. Both kinds can have arrangements of tracks, rods,
wires, pivots and springs or weights. Designs do vary quite a bit
and you can't assume that a retracting door always has a specific type
of mechanism any more than a canopy type.

The comparison of canopy vs. retracting really influences how far back
into the garage the door travels and the trajectory followed as it
opens and closes.

There are also sectional types such as Hoermann which run in tracks but
in a completely different way.

Apart from looking at manufacturer web sites and data sheets, it's a
good plan to try to visit a supplier of doors with a showroom having
several set up so that you can look even if you don't buy from them.

Don't forget to look at the finish of the door as well. There is a lot
of rubbish around.