Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] post2google@yahoo.com is offline

Default How to seal bottom of uninsulated wall?

On Dec 21, 2:46*pm, M Q wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:25 pm, "New & Improved - N/F John"

I was thinking, spray the gap with low expansion
Great Stuff, maybe embeding a short piece of
1/2 inch pvc pipe a few places in case somehow
water ever came down from above (attic leak
or whatever). That foam stuff is pretty much
permanent though, which may be a problem some
day.

Embed a drain in the wall in case the roof leaks??

I can't think of an appropriate comment for that.

The word is "contingency planning". Oops, thats
two words. :-)

Even in a well maintained home, water can happen,
a unnoticed roof leak, or plumbing problem. If that
happens, you have two choices:

a) the water collects in the container you've
conviently created for it and you find out about the
problem when your hand goes thru the moldy
decaying wall in the dining room or

b) the water drains out of the outlet in the
bottom of the wall you provided and you notice
and fix the problem.

Agreed, it's a philosophical difference, like some
people caulk all the way around the base of a
toilet and other leave a small gap for water
to come out in case there is a problem with
the wax ring.

-P