Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag Snag is offline

Default Why use heavy oils in gearbox?

Anthony wrote:
Jon Elson wrote in
:

It is going to be really hard to meet the 35 MPG standard
without major changes in the drive train. Lightening just isn't
going to get much further. The last gasp was lock-up torque
converters. Now, they are going to have to get serious.
Combining start/stop technology with something like stratified
charge or some other scheme to get rid of the throttle and run
the engine at full cylinder pressure all the time (like Diesel)
is going to be required. C'mon, Detroit, we know you've had
stratified charge systems running since the 1970's.

It's out there already, DIG (Direct injection Gasoline), more are
coming, bet on it, and sooner than you think.
35 mpg is not unachieveable, some vehicles have been getting better
than that for years.
The TDI that Volkswagon AG has is an incredible engine, wish I could
afford one.
The small diesel market is going to expand in the next few years in
the US.
There are also alternatives out there to the otto cycle engine. The
mazda rotary is one that has been proven, and gets good fuel mileage.

Maybe the newer ones . In 1972 the mileage sucked .
Power was awesome though ...

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"