Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tree roots and water supply pipe concern.

Tim Lamb wrote:
In article , Huge
writes
Point of order, Huge.

Does this rule apply where the subsoil is river gravel with a highish
(3'0") water table?

I am about to re-build a farm toilet and am reluctant to destroy the
Leylandi screen.

Ooh. Dunno. I'm quoting what the arborist said when we were having our "seasonal
movement" investigated. I was trying to preserve the 80 y/o oak tree that
actually overhung our house. There's also a Leylandii hedge about 3 metres from
the house all down one side. The insurers wanted the tree felled and the hedge
removed - I was trying to push for having the tree pollarded. Didn't care about
the hedge (other than it shelters our otherwise very exposed house from the
North.)

The 1.5 x figure was the arborists, and she agreed with the insurers that the
oak had to go. It makes good firewood, though. (

She did say that Leylandii are nothing like as bad as people say, and agreed
that the hedge could be cut back to 3 metres high.

We're on clay subsoil, though.

So's the NP:-)

When they called out the BC guy to inspect the foundation trench for our
house extension (metre deep) he said *go down a bit* where it was wet.
So they dug out another 6" of gravelly river marl and created a 6" deep
pond. Lots of shoulder shrugging and the concrete got poured.

The toilet will be ex-building control (agricultural:-) but I will try
to conform for future proofing.

Anything beyond one metre is going to be water.

That's good then. Pour the concrete into that. It will sink. ;-)

regards