Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Weird,Aldi selling B&D tools now

On 2007-12-22 16:12:32 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 2007-12-22 15:25:52 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 2007-12-22 14:16:13 +0000, "Doctor Drivel"
said:

I bought an Yves San Lauren shirt there once. Matalan saw off C&A
from the UK after 70 years. They are cheap, but not nasty. They
are big and powerful and can negotiate with branded names.

Ah. That kind of place.

Indeed. Some nice young fillies in their catalogue though. Even you
must get that through your door now and then

Actually no. Very few catalogues come in the post or even the free
newspaper. That's why I hadn't heard of it.

I did see a TV advert yesterday (I watch very little commercial TV)
for a store called TK-something-or-other which seemed to be doing the
same kind of thing.

Yes, I believe they're what's known as a shop in an area often
referred to as the high street. They are purveyors of a skin covering
known as clothing. Get down to Reading, man. The joint is jumpin.

Oh please. The town centre is a hell-hole, like most town centres.
People wandering aimlessly about, unable to decide on what they are
going to buy, if anything, and getting in the way. Made especially
worse on Saturday mornings by double width pushchairs pushed around
inexpertly by young fathers tasked with getting them and the kids out of
the house while it's cleaned. All of that is before one considers the
nightmare of trying to park.

All in all, a huge waste of time, getting in the way and slowing me
down.

Then it all assumes that stock is available.

Why would I want to waste my time with any of that?

Not that on-line shopping is that much better, although much less time
is wasted. It's still necessary to ensure that suppliers meet their
commitments, however.

And still necessary to hang around waiting for deliveries or, in the
case of a friend of mine, lining up for an hour at the courier's local
depot at 7 in the evening