Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Double sink drain install

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:07:42 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 22, 11:35?am, Phisherman wrote:
I'm installing a double sink. ?The basins are 20 gallons each and the
drains are about 8" apart. ?I will be installing a 1.5" PVC vent
around the room near the top of the studs to serve all the fixtures.
There are two ways to connect the sink drain--a single trap or
separate traps for each basin. ?If I install separate traps, I could
install a separate vent for each trap. ?I want to eliminate any
possibility of waste water draining from one basin to enter the other
(empty) basin. ?What is the best configuration?

seperate traps always better. are you certain a 1.5 inch vent is
enough?

Not sure. The area is already plumbed with a 2" drain and 1.5" vent
(for a bathroom). My intent is to install a large shower and laundry
hookups as well. This house was built in 1992--does current plumbing
code require 2" vents? If so, I'm concerned about drilling holes
through the studs which are only 3.5" wide. 2" PVC will require 2.5"
holes through these studs.