Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default potbelly stove

On Dec 22, 9:10*am, "SteveB" wrote:
wrote in message

I want to put a potbelly stove in my basement. *Preferably on the wall
that doesn't have a window on it. *How hard of an install, and what
procedures would there be?

Good grief, man. *How would we even guess? *If you were any more vague, your
post would be just blank.

First things first.

Find out if you need a permit. *Nothing like getting red tagged in the
middle of it, or having to rip it out and do it again.

Check with your insurance company. *Your rates will probably go up. *Mine
almost doubled for homeowner's.

After that, the construction isn't rocket science, but not knowing a thing
about your setup, I can't offer any advice. *Components are available from
any fireplace store. *Putting them in right and safely is another thing.
Cutting openings, coring concrete, making sure everything's right and safe
is vital. *Straight runs of chimney pipe are best, and nineties are bad.
You have to use air to combust wood. *What's going to be your air source?
Room air? *Outside air through a duct? *No sense sending warm room air up
the chimney. *You may be better off to just run a 220 and put a heater in
there.

Then there are CO monitors. *Get the digital type so you have a displayed
level rather than waiting until it is critical to beep.

You may have to have a hole cut in the wall. *You may have to redo framing
and everything up from the stove. *You may have to put in fire blocking and
fire resistant materials.

Other than the things mentioned above, it's a snap.

Steve

Well...other than the fee for the ambulance after the sticker shock on
the cost of the chimney...

Harry K