Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30 lp13-30 is offline

Default Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater

FWIW, I know a slightly eccentric elderly man who has an older
house--1200sf more or less-- with NG central heat. Forced air heat with
central a/c. A few years ago he got 2 or 3 oil filled radiators and used
them instead of the central, mainly as an experiment. He keeps detailed
records of EVERYTHING, and he said it was pretty much a wash costwise.
Granted, this is S.Tx, so not that cold, and we pay about $.10/kwh,
maybe slightly less. Not sure what NG costs, since it is not available
in my subdivision. YMMV, but compared to propane or oil, unless you are
up near $.25/kwh, they would be a good choice, especially considering
initial cost and upkeep over fossil fuel heat sources. Larry