Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Varmint(s) under the house

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
Norminn wrote:
Dan_Musicant wrote:

Years ago I sealed up all the entrances to the crawlspace, but last week
I noticed that one had come off. Argh! I wasn't about to just seal it
back up because I figured that with the cold weather coming on
(Berkeley, CA, not freezing, but quite chilly in the winter), some
animal was probably under the house.
I figure before I seal up (this time with a door and latch), I have to
get whatever animals out of there. I started by putting some strained
dirt over the ground just below the ~18x24" opening, smoothing it
carefully to reveal any footprints of an animal going in or out. Next
day, sure enough, footprints, maybe about the size of a small cat (but I
figure it wouldn't be a cat, but who knows?).

I tried a trick I'd heard of and put an open container with some rocks
in it (to keep it from tipping over) with ammonia and a rag, to disperse
noxious and offensive fumes, right in back of the opening, so the
animal(s) would have to pass the concentrated fumes when going in/out. I
figured that after a day or two the animal(s) would find friendlier
accommodations. After two or so days of this, footprints are still in
evidence.

What can I try to expell the varmint(s)? I figure I can maybe work up a
one way door of some kind, but it seems tricky.
Dan

Get a humane trap from animal control. Decide what to do with the animal
after it is in the trap. My mom used to relocate possum and racoons.
You can do it )

That .22LR semi auto pistol is a real good tool for relocating
possum and racoons.

Yeah, but when (not if) you miss, you can end up relocated, and next thing
you know, you're some crack dealer's bitch while you're waiting for your
lawyer to get you out of jail.