Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Banning incandescent lamps?

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 01:34:57 -0600, Richard J Kinch wrote:

EISA 2007 is said to ban incandescent lamps.

I defy anyone to understand this law. See the lightbulb text he

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c110:1:./temp/

~c110KLWOHv:e261985:

-- snip --

I've never had a compact florescent light last me more than two years,
and they often fail within six months. Given the amount of stuff in one
of those, which implies a lot of energy expenditure to manufacture, I
question the notion that you'll really save anything over the life cycle
of the bulb by using incandescents.

(and, compact florescent lights use mercury, and become a hazardous waste
issue the instant they enter your door -- assuming free manufacture, I'll
trade off the inefficiency of an incandescent light for it's safety any
day).

Maybe try a different brand?. The oldest I have was about 5 years old
and working fine until I dropped it, it was a slow warm-up one so got
relegated to the blasting booth a couple of years ago, all the newer
ones are virtually instant on. The others in the house are mostly 3 to 4
years old and seem to be going strong, not had one fail yet. When time
for disposal i'll take them to the local council site that handles
fluorescents for recycling. I'm not sure of the efficiency of the
compact fluorescents at start-up, like normal flourescents can take a
large starting current, so have only changed out those lights that will
be on for longer periods, all those that are on for a short period are
still incandescent.