Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Brent is offline

Default Banning incandescent lamps?

On Dec 22, 1:22 pm, "BillM" wrote:
Got sucked into the whole compact flourescent whirlpool a
few years ago. Local
power company (Portland General Electric) was handing out
coupons for free/deep
discount/rebate on compact flourescents, and we were
lighting up a new home.
I think there are maybe 4 left in the whole house. Short
life, unacceptable warm up time,
just general crappy performance. Unless there has been a
huge improvement in
the CF technology, I'll keep my incandescents!

My biggest issue with CF's is the colour temperature can vary wildly
from painful blue to a fine warm yellowish red.

I'm positive that there will be exceptions for industrial use like
stage lighting or as heating. even quartz halogen could be called
incandescent.

there IS logic behind getting rid of some cases of them. It is stupid
to use a heater as a light source. It makes sense to use a heater that
gives of excess light as a heat and light source however.

As many have said a blanket ban is stupid but there are good reasons
to replace them in many cases

A little sense in cutting use will help greatly

Brent
Ottawa Canada