Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default Banning incandescent lamps?

On Dec 21, 11:34 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
EISA 2007 is said to ban incandescent lamps.

I defy anyone to understand this law. See the lightbulb text he

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...LWOHv:e261985:

What, are we gonna have lightbulb police?

Apparently the left-hand thread is an exemption. Are we gonna see a boom
in right-to-left-hand-thread lamp base adapters?

Don't get me started on 35 mpg cars. The US government decrees a change in
the laws of physics!

Here is my take on all the expert opinion that the government looks to
for justification of these environmental laws. When they talk about
efficiency, they make up the parameters to fit their needs. The
incandescent light is a heat generating device. It converts
electricity to heat and is 100% efficient at doing it. A part of that
heat is detectable by the inefficient receptors on the front of our
heads. The inefficient part of the equation is not the source, but the
receiver.

Our home is heated by a heat pump backed up by an electric furnace.
When the weather is really cold, the electric heat unit is on quite a
bit. The light bulbs in our home are also on and contribute to the
heat just as much as the furnace does. Nothing is saved by turning off
the light, but leaving the electric furnace running.

We use a 60 watt incandescent bulb in a well insulated outbuilding to
keep the well water works from freezing. Works just fine. When
extremely cold weather is expected, we change to a 100 watt bulb. Many
of our neighbors do the same. You can't use a compact florescent bulb
for that. I guess the light bulb police will let us use 1,000 watt
heaters instead.

Out side lights are a different story. There, any heat is immediately
lost, so with some exceptions, those bulbs are florescent. The
exception being the motion controlled flood lights.

On a different note, the florescent lamps all generate radio noise.
Many hams in the area have noted when they turn their vhf beams toward
a town or city notice an increase in the noise level. The replacement
of incandescent lamps will mean that level will continue to rise.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Paul, KD7HB in Central Oregon