Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
Balanced View Balanced View is offline

Default OT GUNS (Was UK RICS report says solar takes 208 years torepay...nonsense!Helpneeded!)

no one wrote:

"Balanced View" wrote in message
no one wrote:
Look mate, if you honestly feel there is a threat where virtually
no threat exists, you're simply paranoid.
According to the CDC you are at far greater risk of being killed by
eating at McDonalds.

The only thing is there are threats out there.

There are more signifigant threats out there than being shot

True.

Do or would you let your small child wonder around a major shopping
center? Or are you too paranoid? There is very little threat but
there is enough threat that most people won't do it.

No, because common sense tells us kids need supervision for any
number of reasons

So you keep an eye on your kids at all times? Isn't that a little
paranoid?

Never said I did, only that kids need supervision

In most cases there is not enough threat to feel the need to carry a
weapon but there is always a threat out there.

Yeah sure, birds **** on your car, it might rain etc...... But very
few require the need of a gun to prevent.

A firearm is like a seatbelt, you'll probably never need one but when
you do need it you need it quickly or you get hurt.

Your chances of getting killed in an vehicle accident, 1 in 6,535, are
far, far greater than being assaulted and killed,1 in 80,366.

Example, if you ride the train to and from work every day the odds
are you'll never face a life threatening situation.

Glad you agree with that.

But there is always that chance the car on your train is the one
that some mentally ill person decides that the voices in his head is
coming from and if he kills every one in that car with a machete.

About as much chance of that happening as getting eaten by a mutant
Crocodile from the sewers.

Or getting blown up on the 'tube' or gassed on the subway? Small odds
but it has happened.

LOL, the chances of that happening are almost nil, one in 10,876,179
for a railway accident of any kind

Even if you are in that car the odds are that you will not be one of
the first people attacked, meaning you will have a chance to run.
For most people these odds are enough, for others they like having
even more odds on their side and they carry a weapon. That weapon
may be in the form of themselves via martial arts training, pepper
spray, a stun gun or a firearm.

If you think about threats like that that everyday you are paranoid

Let's see: I wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle; I wear a
seatbelt when I drive; I have smoke alarms in my house; I unplug my
saw when I replace the blade; when I check into a hotel room I make
sure I know where the fire exits are. Paranoid or just being safe?

All , with the exception of the saw, are legitimate risks of which have
far greater chance of causing death than being shot

I don't know a person who has needed to use any concealed weapon to
protect themselves. But I know many who carry them.

Paranoid friends as well?

Lots of cops and ex-cops.

All of which deal with the worst element of society every day, hardly
representative of the average persons life.
In New York during the 20th Century gunshot wounds accounted for 51.6%
of all occupational police deaths

As I have said before just having a weapon saved my sister from
being, at the least, raped. I don't consider the weapon being

The odds are anything can happen anywhere, but for the average person
to feel the need to carry a gun everyday,
it is not a rational act.

But not for being 'irrational' my sister would have been a rape
victim. Which would you rather YOUR sister be? FYI; this wasn't in a
darken parking lot in some 'crime infested' major city slum area.

Fearing attack to the point of feeling the need to be armed when in
public is irrational and paranoid given the odds.
My sister was a nurse for 25 years, worked all shifts and the only thing
found dead in the parking lot was batteries
in January.