Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Automatic Volume Leveling (AVL)

In article ,
jakdedert wrote:
In fact the maximum level of the ads is not greater than the normal
program material, its just that the ad level is more constant per unit
time, thus the average level is greater than that of the program
material. Advertisers are aware of this trick so they ensure that the
dialogue is constant throughout the ads.

That's probably true of national network shows broadcast over the air.
I was referring to 'local option' commercials dubbed in by a cable
company. As I said earlier in the thread, often the difference in level
is *downward*, not louder.

Sounds like those ads are being made on a low budget without the use of a
decent sound engineer.

I've been a sound engineer for over 30 years. I know what loud is, and
I know what compression sounds like.

Then you'll understand the problem. We're one of the first skills to go
when the bean counters get control. They can't see the results of our work
on a spreadsheet. Obviously not enough members of the public complain
about poor sound.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.