John Smith

Default New Houses

Round my way, and I suppose this is increasingly common, I look at houses
and think "That has a nice bit of land but the house is crap - why can't I
knock it down and build a new one but a quality new one!" How difficult is
it to get permission to do this? Doesn't the new house have to reflect the
old house to such an extent that it defeats the purpose?

John.

John Smith wrote:

Thanks, but with regard to newly built houses... are they build to

standards
as good as, say, 30, 50, or 70 years ago? Or are they built better? I

mean,
some new houses look old after only 5 - 10 years and I can't help

wondering
what they will look like in 20, 30, etc, years?

I'd say the insulation is better, but teh stenght is worse, and the
sound insulation - apart from double glazed windows - far worse.

Longevity? Not much different really. Old hopuses tend to be solid, but

cold.

New houses sound like living in a wooden drum, but are warm

YMMV.

John.

Christian McArdle wrote:

A friend commented that new houses, being of timber construction, are

at
a bigger risk to things like dry rot in the frame and, because of

this,
their longevity is in question.

Timber frame is not, in itself, a problem. You will find that most

houses

more than 300 years old in this country are timber framed. Provided
ventilation and maintenance is good, timber framed houses can last a

very

long time.

Indeed. The one over the road is mentioned in the Domesday book. Shame
some plumber left a stripper plugged in and burnt half of it away a few
years back. They still have not sorted out insurance claims on that

one...

Rot and fire are the two enemies. Wheeras subsidence gets the block and
brick ones.

Privded timber is kept dry, old oak, or treated softwood should be good
for at least a hundred years. Morte like 300 typically. The BIG danger
is leaking rooves gutters and bargeboards etc.

Christian.