Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tree roots and water supply pipe concern.

Vortex wrote:
We've been in our house about 15 years.

In that time an oak tree in front of our house has grown from nothing
(well actually an acorn I s'pose) to be about 15cm diameter.

What concerns me is that it's axis is about 60cm from our main water
supply meter/stopcock, which is itself about 60cm underground.

Am I asking for trouble in the future if I leave it (the tree) alone?

Probably not,with an oak.

~Besides we LOVE the one that managed to take root in our garden..was
about 15" tall when I bough the place,now its about 15'..they seem to
get to full height in about 75 years, then just get THICKER.

Should I "euthenase" the tree as a precaution?

I'd rather spend the money fixing the stopcock..a good english oak is a
beautiful sight

Any experience of similar situations out there?

Not oak, no. Main problems I have seen are willows and ash.

I doubt that the big roots will go down much below the depth you are
at..the tree should simply grow around the stopcock. Ok come 150 years
the thing may be an issue..but do you care?

David