Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default Automatic Volume Leveling (AVL)

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:35:11 GMT, "Chuck" !
wrote:

It's nearly too late now since the new TV's have AVL built-in to

adjust
volume increases during commercials, but I am very surprised nobody

ever
built a "good" add-on aftermarket volume-leveler all these years. Why

would
it be so hard to build a good yet inexpensive one?

Chuck

I don't think it is very easy to design what you are looking for - at
least not so it is affordable.

As to why do the ads seem louder? - read this
http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/stories/s1264909.htm

In fact the maximum level of the ads is not greater than the normal
program material, its just that the ad level is more constant per unit
time, thus the average level is greater than that of the program
material. Advertisers are aware of this trick so they ensure that the
dialogue is constant throughout the ads.