Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John JJ John JJ is offline

Default Centrifuge Wanted.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:46:36 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

I think I know what you are looking for. I used to work in a mid size
manufacturing company we operate many multi-spindles lathe. I design a system
that continuously filters the cutting oil, removing sludge, metal and water. We
use a Delaval separator with a heater, a few tanks, pumps, valves and lot of
piping. However, this is not what you are looking for. You need a small portable
centrifuge or separator that will separate either used engine or cooking oil
right? During the designing stages I came across a very small portable one
weighing about 30 lbs and costing less than $200, it's made in China. Give me a
few days for me to find the flyer and I will post the spec. here. I cannot
guarantee you if you can buy them.

Please tell me more, John. Everything that you know about it will do fine.

Thanks

j/b

"John JJ" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:12:59 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

I have also come across small portable centrifuge design for limited batch
filtering used oil. I am not sure the smaller centrifuge can be adjusted
for
various viscosity and micron of particles. The smaller machine is made in
China.

Interesting, Dan.

I wonder what the prime of water was for, to keep it stable or a load on
it?

I already settle the oil. I want a faster method and perhaps go portable,
too.

j/b
"Dan " Dan@ wrote in message ...
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:51:54 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Does anyone have a centrifuge capable of filtering waste vegetable oil?

Centrifuges need to spin pretty fast. When i was in the US Navy, there
wee two different lube oil separators. One was made by Sharples and
the other was a Delaval. They spun the oil real fast and separated the
oil from water and contaminants.
The basic cylinder has a dam in the top so it would keep a prime of
water in the cylinder. When you started the machine up, the cylinder
was dry. After it got up to speed, a bucket of water was poured into
the priming hole. That filled the cylinder with water. The excess
water was expelled out the top of the cylinder until there was a wall
of water inside the cylinder. Then the suction valve was opened and
the cylinder filled with a wall of oil, inside the diameter of the
water wall.
There was a three-wing assembly in the Sharples that spun the oil and
the water at the same speed. The Delaval had a stack of what looked
like funnels upside down to spin the oil and water. Any water in the
oil would spin outward and go into the wall of water already in the
cylinder. Any dirt would move through the wall of water and stick to
the inside of the cylinder.
They listed several sizes of dams for the cylinders. The dams are for
different viscosities of oil.

You can see what one looks like here.
http://www.aaronequipment.com/UsedEq...per/19780.html

As you can see, this would be pretty hard to build.
So what are you trying to acomplish?

If your just trying to clean up the oil before burning it in your
diesel truck, Heat to 180 deg in the tank for a few days and all the
stuff will settle out.