Posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house
hvacrmedic hvacrmedic is offline

Default Has anyone ever replaced their conventional furnace fan motorwith an ECM motor?

On Dec 21, 7:42*pm, Some Guy wrote:
hvacrmedic wrote:
There is no difference in the motors. It's the control systems
that are different.

What -

On
Off

What else do you need for a control system?

More than the two words on and off.

Quoting a salespitch isn't the equivalent of enlightenment.
You didn't even know that the thing existed until a few minutes ago.

I've known about ECM motors for some time.

You've known they existed. Great.

In fact you thought (very wrongly) that you could throw a
standard ECM motor into any old unit. *

What is a "standard" ECM motor?

A "standard" ECM motor is an ECM motor that can be used to replace a
PSC motor. For the difference between these and the other ECM motors
in thier line-up, you can read the GE literature, or watch the videos
listed here.

http://www.thedealertoolbox.com/training-videos.php

I know that there are drop-in ECM motors - even if they have
dip-switches to set their operation in the absence of a control
signal.

The Evergreen unit isin't the only drop-in replacement.

So what's stopping you from dropping one in? I don't know what you're
trying to accomplish, but you seem to be posting a lot of opinions in
this and other threads that FWIW have been mostly empirically
incorrect. I'm done with this particular training session. Come up
with another topic that's a bit more interesting.