Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Some Guy[_2_] Some Guy[_2_] is offline

Default Has anyone ever replaced their conventional furnace fan motor withan ECM motor?

wrote:

I put a regular motor in my Trane air handler when the ECM motor
went bad. They wanted over $1000 for the motor.

Was that $1000 for the motor only, or did it include labor?

How old was the Trane unit? I'm surprised that the motor wasn't
covered by at least a 5 year parts warranty (and more likely 10 year
parts warranty) - given that I don't think that ECM motors have been
around for more than 5 years.

The retail price for some mid and high-efficiency furnaces (with ECM
motors) is usually less then $3500, so I can't see the motor alone
costing $1000.