Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Duct sealing

On Dec 21, 12:09*pm, dicko wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:10:51 -0500, "JohnnyC" wrote:
Last night on "Ask TOH", they had a guy who showed how to seal FHA duct
work. *Are there foil tapes available to a homeowner that are very high
grade? *Is the stuff at the BORG good enough to do the job?
.
One more...this is heating season in NE. *How long does it take for duct
sealing mastic take to dry?

Thanks.

As was explained to me, the tape should be UL-181 rated. *I dont know
if you have a Menards in your area, but I bought a roll there. *They
had both UL spec'd and non-UL spec'd tape. Regular foil tape was
approx $5 per roll, UL-181 rated tape was approx $15. *The tape has
the word "UL-181" printed all over its surface.

-dickm

I used "Polyken 239 Smacna" (can't read anything more on the only
joint still exposed. That was 20 years ago, no special cleaning done
and it is as solid as when I applied it. I think I could have patched
the Titanic with that stuff - seemed to stick to anything withing 5 ft
when I was trying to apply it and once it touched it was pretty much
there until the sun goes nova.

The lumberyard didn't warn me and I got a sticker shock when the bill
came in for that roll. Don't recall what it was, but it was _high_.

Harry K