Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Automatic Volume Leveling (AVL)

In article ,
jakdedert wrote:
That's the same problem we have and it drives us crazy! Does anyone
have a newer TV with the built-in AVL feature, and how well does it
work?

You can call your provider. So far, I haven't gotten that far, but
IIRC, there are regulations about relative volume...might not apply for
cable, but over the air....

The big snag is there's no way of measuring loudness accurately. It's the
holy grail to develop a device which does so to all's satisfaction.
Conventional metering systems can read peak or average levels but don't
take into account the perceived loudness to the ear - or rather brain. And
the other big snag is that what is too loud to one isn't to another - just
think about the music your kids listen to. ;-)

The issue is with the (less than) technical help the cable company (in
my case ComCast) employs to drop in the commercials.

Again it depends on the programme preceding the ads. If a brash game show
etc chances are the ads won't sound louder. If some drama with a poignant
end chances are they will.

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman London SW