Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Automatic Volume Leveling (AVL)

Jamie wrote:
jakdedert wrote:

Chuck wrote:

Here in Nashville--and I suppose many other places--there are a lot of
'local option' commercials. IOW, there's a commercial on the
satellite feed, but it gets pre-empted by one chosen by the cable
operator.

Here, the audio levels on these local options commercials is all
over the place; usually WAY too loud, but sometimes (blessedly)
barely audible. You can tell they're local option because either the
subject is a local business, or sometimes you see just a 'blip' of
another commercial before they cut to the replacement.

Very annoying when you're listening to a movie with the volume up,
or you have the TV on as background to fall asleep by....

jak

That's the same problem we have and it drives us crazy! Does anyone
have a newer TV with the built-in AVL feature, and how well does it
work?

You can call your provider. So far, I haven't gotten that far, but
IIRC, there are regulations about relative volume...might not apply
for cable, but over the air....

The issue is with the (less than) technical help the cable company (in
my case ComCast) employs to drop in the commercials.

jak

TV is advertisements! They don't make money from their viewers by you
watching movies. They know you'll turn up the volume to
listen to the movie and get blasted from the commercials which places a
subliminal impact on your brain in hopes that when you are in the store,
you'll have some interest in that product and have no idea why!

Except when they make it so obvious that you have no doubt as to what
they're doing. Annoying your clientele is not a formula for increased
sales.

jak

You must remember, shock and fear are the best methods for programming
the brain! That is, if you got one!
It's all about the big green! or what ever color it is!