Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charlie Bress Charlie Bress is offline

Default A flyback question

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:28:10 -0500, Charlie Bress wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:17:32 -0500, Charlie Bress wrote:

I have a Panasonic TV that is about a decade old that has developed
an
intermittent loss of raster. Only once could I get it to respond to a
little
judicious percussive maintenance.

It has been along time since I have explored the guts of a TV. I have
experience in board level repairs an want to pull the circuit board to
inspect for poor connections.

The flyback looks as if the high voltage lead can be unplugged from the
transformer itself and would be more convenient than doing a disconnect
at
the CRT. Is this feasible? Is the connection at the flyback a simple
straight plug in or is there a locking feature.

I've seen some that can be removed and some that can't. If yours looks
as
if it unplugs and is locked to the fly by a cap then it may be
removable.
This is something I can't give a yes or no answer to.

The nature of the raster loss leads me to believe that it is NOT the
loss of high voltage, but some other signal. The picture just blinks
out sometimes making a couple of steps toward darkness. The sweeps do
not change and the focus and contrast do not change.

I no longer own a voltmeter with a suitable high voltage probe.

If the HV drops in many cases the picture will shrink as some voltage
supplies are scan derived. (well at least they were back when I repaired
tv) I doubt via your description of the symptoms that the HV is at
fault.

I doubt it too. That's why the question I posted. I am looking for the
simplest way to disengage the flyback and HV cable from the CRT

What are you hoping to accomplish by removing the HV from the CRT?

Then I can slide the circuit board out (all the other connectors are
straight forward) and inspect for bad solder.

Charlie